Peppermint Cacao Matcha Hot Chocolate
Our health forward twist on a holiday favorite, this peppermint cacao matcha is creamy, sweet, chocolatey and pairs perfect with candy canes and crackling fires (even when its just a YouTube video of a yule log 😂)
Did you know cocoa powder and cacao powder are very similar, the only difference being that cocoa is processed at a much higher temperature (and often packaged with added sugar and dairy). So, cacao powder is made from fermented beans that have not been roasted and is often packaged with zero other ingredients. For us, we choose cacao for both flavor and our wellness.
Why is Cacao Powder AMAZING?
- Rich in polyphenols and antioxidants just like our matcha
- Cacao powder is packed with flavonoids which has been shown to lower blood pressure
- Supports a healthy brain
- The flavonoids in cacao powder may help increase insulin sensitivity, reducing risk of diabetes
- Cacao powder also contains lots of potassium which helps support a healthy heart
- Elevates our mood due to cacao’s flavanols
- Cacao powder has several compounds that have antibacterial, anti-enzymatic and immune-stimulating properties
- And we love that it has been shown to help reduce inflammation!
- 1 cup plant based milk (coconut makes this extra creamy. Reach for the full fat canned coconut milk)
- 1 heaping tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1-2 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Matcha Nude
- tiny pinch sea salt
- Optional Toppings: marshmallows, candy canes, chocolate chips, cookies for dipping 😋
- Whisk together all ingredients except toppings and warm in a saucepan or in an electric frother.
- Serve with or without a handful of toasted marshmallows and a candy cane topper.